Malbork castle was medieval Europe’s largest fortress. Picturesquely situated by the Nogat river, the three-castle complex was, for 150 years, the capital of the Teutonic state. The castle's origins date back to the second half of the 13th century. Beginning in 1309, Malbork was the seat of the grand masters of the Teutonic Order and the capital of one of medieval Europe's most powerful states. With a surface area of some 21 hectares, Malbork Castle is the largest Gothic castle complex in the world and a masterpiece of late-medieval fortification and residential architecture. In 1997 Malbork Castle was designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Completion of the castle restoration project
For the Castle Museum in Malbork, the year 2016 is special as it marks the completion of one of the greatest challenges in the Museum’s history: the project “Conservation and construction works in the Church Complex of St. Mary in the Castle Museum in Malbork”. As a result, with a 20-hectare area, the castle is now Malbork castle was medieval Europe’s largest fortress. Picturesquely situated by the Nogat river, the three-castle complex was, for 150 years, the capital of the Teutonic state. the world’s largest Gothic castle complex, and a masterpiece of defensive and residential late medieval architecture. During more than 50 years of conservation works, great care was taken to restore the church complex in the High Castle to its former glory (i.e. the time before it suffered war damage in 1945). The project was primarily designed to rebuild the Church of St. Mary – the heart of the Teutonic Order. Also reconstructed was the statue of Madonna with the Child, the symbol of Malbork, which can be seen on the eastern wall of the castle. Conservation works also included St. Anne’s Chapel, the Main Tower, the Klesza Tower and the Bell-ringer Cabin. The restored area is already accessible to visitors.
One of the castle's must-sees is the exhibition of Amber Contexts, looking at the gemstone from a variety of possible angles. Tree resin fossilised millions of years ago, amber reflects the complexity of nature. It can be regarded in a number of contexts, including a natural scientific and artistic one. It can also be looked at from a functional perspective. The Malbork amber collection has earned a reputation as one of the world's best and largest.
New militaria exhibition
From June 2016, the castle provides a new permanent exhibition: “Oriental militaria – Treasury”. The exhibition features Persian and Indo-Persian weapons, many of which used to belong to Professor Lech Konrad Kobyliński’s collection. The remaining several dozen oriental militaria, including Afghan, Turkish, and Balkan exhibits, come from the Museum’s own collection, which dates back to 1961. The exhibition includes almost all kinds of weapons and armor used in the Persian Empire from 16th to 19th centuries. A must-see for visitors!
- on-season (1 May to 30 September): 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
castle grounds close at 8 p.m.
- off-season (1 October to 30 April): 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.,
castle grounds close at 4 p.m.
- The Light and Sound show is back from April 21, 2017.
Malbork Castle Museum
Starościńska 1 St., 82-200 Malbork
+48 55 647 08 02
+48 55 647 09 78 (tourist information ad group reservation)
+48 55 647 09 02